....upholding artificial barriers since 2007 Don't screw with my mind. It's offensive

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Undisputed Truth (October 12)

(That's the name of the band. I can't claim "undisputed" truth in this blog)

This weekend I met with my mentor. I am sad to say that I’ve gone more than a year having a tenuous relationship with him because I let my weakness and my tendency to not trust get in the way. Moreover I let certain people exploit those tendencies. And so, after almost two years of keeping each other at arms length we finally talked about it. It’s funny we seem to be so alike in some ways that stuff like that will happen and at the end of the day we both understand each other.

Greek I know. I guess the whole point is that honesty always is the best policy. Being honest doesn’t just mean not lying. Being honest is not withholding information. Being honest is revealing feelings and circumstances that may initially hurt relationships, but in the end, if withheld, would damage them all the more.

My mentor taught me a lesson that he learned from his wife. He didn’t tell her something because he didn’t want to make her angry. Her response “you should love me enough to withstand my anger.”

So I let my feeling of mistrust cloud my judgment. But of course, my mistrust was misplaced. Jay-Z says [I quote Jay-Z more than I quote the bible.]

“Just be a man of your word / you got your word and your balls / before you act on the word / please consider the source / please remember the flaws / any day could be yours / death don’t discriminate / eliminates all.” -- Excerpt from “Problem Houston” El Presidente and Aztec. From DJ. Carmelo’s “the connected mix tape.”

So it woke me up at 5 in the morning (my bad roomie.) That at least three people that I thought cared about me, maybe unwittingly but I doubt it, lead me to believe things untrue about my mentor. For whatever selfish reason, professional advancement, personal hurt, or that desire that Puffy described like this they’d “rather see me die than see me fly

(*Don’t be trying to figure out who they are either. The number three which is a true representation should throw you off enough. Things aren’t always as simple as you think*)

I said that School’s getting in the way of Blogging. So if I have to go to the lyric early to have a blog, then I gotta do what I gotta do. And I’m going old school this week. If you know me, you know I’m a young man (does 29 still count as ay young man? Sike, I know it does) with an old soul. So here it goes. If you’ve lived in D.C. and ever listen to WHUR you’ve heard this song.

Artist: The Undisputed Truth
Song: Smiling Faces Sometimes

Smiling faces sometimes pretend to be your friend
Smiling faces show no traces of the evil that lurks within
Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes
They don't tell the truth uh
Smiling faces, smiling faces
Tell lies and I got proof


The truth is in the eyes
Cause the eyes don't lie, amen
Remember a smile is just
A frown turned upside down
My friend let me tell you
Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes
They don't tell the truth, uh
Smiling faces, smiling faces
Tell lies and I got proof
Beware, beware of the handshake
That hides the snake
I'm telling you beware
Beware of the pat on the back
It just might hold you back
Jealousy (jealousy)
Misery (misery)
Envy

I tell you, you can't see behind smiling faces
Smiling faces sometimes they don't tell the truth
Smiling faces, smiling faces
Tell lies and I got proof

Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes
They don't tell the truth
Smiling faces, smiling faces
Tell lies and I got proof

(Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes)
(Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes)
I'm telling you beware, beware of the handshake
That hides the snake
Listen to me now, beware
Beware of that pat on the back
It just might hold you back
Smiling faces, smiling faces sometimes
They don't tell the truth
Smiling faces, smiling faces
Tell lies and I got proof

Your enemy won't do you no harm
Cause you'll know where he's coming from
Don't let the handshake and the smile fool ya
Take my advice I'm only try' to school ya

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home