....upholding artificial barriers since 2007 Don't screw with my mind. It's offensive

Monday, October 03, 2005

Letter to the Editor. (October 3)

You said, “You didn’t come to the meeting.” When I saw you, I said, “you didn’t send me the e-mail. “

Actually, I really thought that you didn’t send me an e-mail because you weren’t interested in having me as a writer. I was excited at first when I met you. From my hometown and you were proud enough of your position as managing editor of the school newspaper that you told me. Not thinking that I would get excited and offer uh…my services? But then I thought about it. Me telling you I have a blog was probably not impressive. Alright, it’s certainly not impressive. You said you’d help me write but when you think about it; if I need help do I need to be writing for the school newspaper? And, is it appropriate for a graduate student to write in the school paper? Will I get unwanted attention because of it? Does anybody besides my friends (and it’s only a few of them) want to hear what I have to say?

My pros were:

  • I could write social commentary.
  • Help people in relationships. (As if.)
  • Give some spiritual insights.
  • Help some to believe in hip-hop again or at least better understand it.
  • Bridge the gap between the undergraduate world and the graduate world here on campus. (Although I think they have it purposely separate.)

But if we are a community why can’t we be together? Dr. Kim, the newest faculty member at the seminary preached about community this past week.

My cons were:

  • You didn’t send the promised invite.
  • Maybe I bogarted my invitation to the meeting out of you.
  • I’m 11 years older than the average freshmen. Whew!
  • To help people believe in hip-hop again I would have to be honest about the artist and their art. Not always popular in mainstream media. (Does the school newspaper count as mainstream media?)
  • I’d have college co-eds interested in me. (Come to think of it is that a pro, a con or both?)
  • I would have all of the professors and my classmates judging, critiquing my every word.
  • I went back home when you had your meeting any way.
  • Maybe you really aren’t interested in having a self-absorbed, preaching, blogger as a writer in the first place. That wouldn’t be too far of a stretch now would it?

Alternatives.

  • Maybe I can use my IT skills to help with the paper’s web presence.
  • Maybe I can just do grunt work for you guys so that I can learn the trade. (Can you see me fetching coffee for 19 year olds?)

Or I could just audition by putting you in my blog.

So what do you think gang, do I have a shot? Let me know which entries I should share and which ones I should remove to get this non-paying gig with the school newspaper.

1 Comments:

Blogger Say Yeah said...

He wrote back.

Reg,
You claim you didn't get an email, but you did. You knew of the meeting, but apparenly your interest didn't follow. But guess what, it's ok because I still want you to join the paper. You obviously have good writing and we could definitely use it. If not, we could definitely get some help from you as far as working on the webpage. Your blog is really neat and interesting. And yes NERD is definitely beautiful music. Thanks

12:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home