....upholding artificial barriers since 2007 Don't screw with my mind. It's offensive

Sunday, September 25, 2005

There can only be one me (September 23)

(The Izod polo on, I’m so old school.)

"Back/caught you looking for the same thing/It’s a new thing/Check out this I bring." - Public Enemy (Chuck D.) “Don’t believe the hype."
Good news. The IT department at my school is working on my laptop so I should be online back online like Redman said “As long as I’m alive I’m a keep the vibe, 24-7, 365 alright.” I haven’t been able to get on the schools wireless Internet so my access has been curbed. It’s cool that the school has campus wide wireless access. But since I couldn’t get on I had to go to a three-workstation computer lab in my building to get online. And you know that’s no good for my creative flow.

But I’m on now.

So this blog thing has been going on for like three months now. Remember I spoke about blog backlash? Yeah well it’s funny. I write for me. I don’t write to respond to people. Nor to hurt anyone. Although it may happen it’s not the goal of my writing. What am I talking about? Let me explain.

So anyway, I’m in school and my first major assignment for 25% of a grade is writing a four-page biography. We’re reading a book that tells you out to write your story. “Recalling our own Stories.” It’s focus is on understanding your own problems and working through them before you can begin to help some one else in a counseling mode. The interesting theme that I’ve found in almost all of my classes is that of the myth.

Myths are our story when we mix the reality and the memory that we want to have about what happened. What we do, whether consciously or unconsciously is edit our stories. You know how this is. When you tell your side of the story. When you say what happened to you but leave out your response, or when you tell the story and tell what you wanted to say as if you actually said. When you tell what a persons motive was for dealing with you as if they said that is how it is. When we tell our stories, they are just that, our stories. Ever listened to someone tell a story of shared experience and stopped them and say you aren’t telling it right? Well when it’s my story I can’t do anything but tell it right because I have an aim, I have a slant, I have a spin that I’m telling my story from.

Some common personal myths discussed in the books first few chapters are:

  • The myth of rejection
  • The myth of powerlessness
  • The myth of the loner
  • The myth of invulnerability
  • The myth of sole responsibility
  • The myth of self-sacrifice
  • The myth of the savior
  • The myth of aloofness
  • The myth of good girl
  • interesting quote from this section of the book (“…To be an effective minister, she had to rediscover what was silent and give it voice.”)

Did I tell y’all that I am so made for this? I am at home. This is what I was meant to do. I am becoming a professional, and nobody can beat me at being me.

I say this to say that I’ve been getting response blogs. I mean it’s sort of like battle raps to me. (Would you believe a non-cowboy fan wrote a response to my redskins blog?)I write a rhyme and some people have written response blogs to me. My blogs are about my life. Never intended to hurt anyone or call anyone out. I shy away from too much disclosure. I don’t expose people in my blogs. I never write to hurt or defame. Battling in rap turns into beef. But I don’t have any beef with anyone. I forgive and let live. And I’m all down for self expression but to me it doesn’t seem like self expression if it’s motivated by someone else’s self expression. I actually had to shut down my 360 page for a couple of days. I know I got a little personal. I have a separate blog that I maintain that’s anonymyous (this is it yall, maybe not so anonymous now though); I may have to blog there for a while. But I feel like that old song. “Can’t nobody break my stride, can’t nobody hold me down, oh no, I got to keep on moving.”

El Presidente says it like this…

“Young'ns ice-grillin' me / oh you not feelin me? / fine, it costs you nothing pay me no mind / look, I'm on my grind cousin / ain’t got time for frontin / sensitive thugs ya'll all need hugs." Jay-Z from “heart of the city.” The chorus to the song: “Ain't no love in the heart of the city, ain’t no love in the heart of town.”

So I went to my favorite bloggers site and he has posted some rules (advice) for first time bloggers. Remember the parental advisory. He’s a little rough but good advice nonetheless.

Rules for first time bloggers from the Humanity Critic.
http://nappydiatribe.blogspot.com/2005/09/6-quick-tips-for-beginning-bloggers.h...

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home