....upholding artificial barriers since 2007 Don't screw with my mind. It's offensive

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I miss D.C.

As I was home a couple of weeks ago, I thought about how much I miss being there. Richmond is so different than D.C. As I leave D.C. I am adjusting to the real notion that I may never live in the city again. Maybe it’s just the familiarity, maybe I’m just such a big homer. Maybe you feel the same way about your city. But I love my city. And I know there is not another city like it in the world.

I miss DC

But I don’t miss the traffic

I miss the having all of the shopping: Tyson’s I & II, Pentagon City, Potomac Mills, Leesburg corner, Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights, Georgetown.

I don’t miss the crowds in the malls.

I miss seafood at Phillips and The soul food at Daddy Grace’s. I miss crab cakes in general.

I miss being at the center of the free world.

I don’t miss the politicians.

Except that I do miss the first family. I’m talking about Effie, Cora, Chris and Marion, and that soap opera called “the Barry’s.”

I miss Georgia Avenue, Pennsylvania Avenue, U St., and Minnesota Avenue where my childhood barbershop is. And why is DC the only place that you can get chicken wings and Mambo sauce?

I miss riding the subway and seeing all those fine women.

I don’t miss having to stand up and then ride the bus and then waiting for a ride once I’ve ridden the subway.

I miss my home town and the realness of my folks, especially my people in the hood.

I don’t miss the arrogance of the buppies (and Lord knows there is a lot of them)and the yuppies. Nuff said.

I miss DC and it’s streets it’s architecture and it’s familiarity. I don’t miss the tourism, even though it’s the second largest industry at home behind government. Did I say that I don’t miss the traffic?

I miss DC and it’s culture, there is always something going on, always something open, there is always something to do.

I don’t miss how it always seems to be a rack of people wanting to do the same thing that I wanted.

Taking the good with the bad I love my city and there is no place like home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jinxy said...

The longer you live in Richmond, the more you'll appreciate what a cool town it is.

I'd trade places any day of the week.

J.

9:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home